Wednesday, June 5, 2013

In need to clear my head

On Monday, I had already planned and listed my to-do’s for the week. Tuesday, I tried to keep track but my lack of discipline as usual destroyed my neatly planned days.
Now, it’s Thursday and I have not started/completed some of my to-do’s yet. It’s because I got so preoccupied with one to-do that I ate up on some of the hours dedicated to other planned tasks. And I know you are shaking your head now. I can’t afford to be this irresponsible forever. I have a 53-week deadline, see? And I have to develop some awesome will power in there to be dedicated and focused on my pre-bliss days, even before I step into blissland.

What do I do? I have so much going on? I keep adding on my list. And now that it’s back to school (for my kiddo), my time for these growing ventures is even further lessened. Sigh.

I guess I’ll need to list ALL my pre-bliss goals first. The ones for this week first.
Doll Fashion Studio
I am to prepare some patterns for Saturday sewing. This is some tiny commission project (literally, too) I have agreed with a nice Sylvanian Family doll collector. Then another two-item commission with a repeat client who is a 1:6 fashion doll collector should also be done by Saturday.  Could this be possible? Hmmm. My Saturday morning should only be dedicated to sewing, as I don’t want pattern-making and fabric cutting to kill my supposedly excited-about-sewing mood. I’ll give the sylvanian project 3 hours, then 2 hours for the 1:6 fashion doll items in the morning. In the afternoon will be cleaning my work area, QA, and packaging. That is, if I had already prepared the patterns by Friday the latest. Shoot! Friday is dinner date with family, so I had to make patterns tonight. That means nothing about figure drawing or online art class for tonight. But today, I’ll be at the nearby nail spa during lunch break with a colleague, so I might as well sneak in some sketching time while the attendant squish my fingernails. (Update: done with pedi, and some sketches: Yay!)
Coursera: Introduction to Art (online class)
This week I am to complete a 4-hour online art class, of which I think isn’t enough time. I even reviewed some of the videos on my way to work last Monday. Done with my readings and accompanying videos, and the quiz. Additionally, I will only need to submit an artwork based on this week’s topic. I will give it 2-3 hours on Sunday morning. It shouldn’t be very detailed, as what’s important is the concept, at least for this week’s lesson/art genre.
Upcoming Comics
Lastly, the storyline I am to make for the comic book story I am to contribute to an old colleague’s upcoming indie magazine. A 2-pager intro story shouldn’t take long. Perhaps I can give it some 3 hours tomorrow. Will probably sneak in some initial sketching in the evening, too.
But more importantly…
I also have a young family to raise. As a mum, I make sure my son is ready for school next week. I’d pretty much need 2-3 hours to cover his books and notebooks, label some of his school supplies, and then some. We had to buy him a new pair of school shoes this weekend, too. Perhaps, going to the mall plus getting the shoe will take 1-2 hours. My Sunday afternoon will be dedicated to school stuff preparation.
Long-term goals…
Aside from these, I also have other goals that are just as crucial.
I need to learn to strengthen my personal finance. So I read my daily personal finance blogs, which utilizes 1-2 hours of my time daily. I also plan my financial goals in excel files, and I check the stocks market regularly. I need to be financially sound when bliss starts so that I can only focus on the creative part most of the time. I am currently wrestling down my credit card debts, while slowly building my emergency fund. As for the studio that I am to use during the bliss, I have no plans to add new expensive equipments within its first six months. Those equipments will have to be fruits of my labor then.
I also work out that business person behind the studio. I had to keep a delicate balance between being creative while being on top of business things. Marketing strategies, goal-setting, business plan adjustments, studying what the perfect daily routine is, productivity measures, are just a few of the things I try to tackle so that I don’t panic come crunch time.
Lastly, I need to stay healthy as I don’t have anyone else to rely on to but myself, when the bliss comes into full bloom . I sneak in workouts in between these tasks, and healthy diet, too.  


So there, I have laid out this week’s plan. Will report about the progress (yes, let’s be positive!) by Sunday night. Tatah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment